Communicating via the internet is always going to be a work in progress, but I believe that if we’re seeking to glorify God in our speech that we CAN be successful in translating the heart of God to people through the power of our keyboards.
Here are ten pieces of advice to help you get started in representing the Kingdom and Body of Christ righteously.
- If you’re offering an opposing opinion use the Golden Rule.
- Sometimes you just need to let it go.
- When confronting someone’s doctrine or political beliefs– ask yourself if you really care about the other’s POV.
- Be willing to talk it out to the end MATURELY.
- Ask questions.
- Know when to stop.
- Reaffirm their Christ-like identity at the end of the conversation.
- When confronting sin, are your motives driven by love?
- Make the conversation just between the two of you.
- Restore them gently aka speak the truth in love.
The POINT is always to bring truth into the circumstance; to represent Jesus and bring answers. There will be times when you are humbled and you’ll have to gracefully accept correction. There will be other times when your POV is ignored and trashed – you’ll have to gracefully take the abuse. There will be times when you have done all you can to make peace, but the other person is still moved to anger and offense, you will have to reaffirm who they are in Christ and move on because antagonizing them further will not help (you can let them know you’re available for when they’d like to speak again).
Get out there and BE the Body of Christ. Hiding behind a username or screen doesn’t make you suddenly a lone wolf – no matter where you are you represent Jesus and the family you belong to. Take care of your brothers and sisters and use your love for people to bring light to cyberspace.
PS. Watch the full video on this topic here!